Legal framework on waste management in the Republic of Kazakhstan
International Treaties participation
- The Law of the Republic of Kazakhstan “On ratification of the Rotterdam Convention on the Prior Informed Consent for Certain Hazardous Chemicals and Pesticides in International Trade” No.239 approved at 20 March 2007.
- The Law of the Republic of Kazakhstan “On ratification of the Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants” No.259 approved at 7 July 2007
- The Law of the Republic of Kazakhstan “On the accession of the Republic of Kazakhstan to the Basel Convention on the Control of Transboundary Movements of Hazardous Wastes and their Disposal” No.389 approved at 10 February 2003
National Laws and regulations that govern hazardous waste management
- Law of the Republic of Kazakhstan “On state regulation of agriculture and rural areas” ratified on July 8, 2005 No.66 – the promotion of the functioning of public storage of special items (burial), pesticides and their containers;
- Law of the Republic of Kazakhstan “On Food Safety” ratified. July 21, 2007 No.301 – the requirements for food production and security;
- Law of the Republic of Kazakhstan “On Plant Protection” ratified on July 3, 2002 No.331-II;
- Law of the Republic of Kazakhstan “On Plant Quarantine” on February 11, 1999 No.344-I – to establish a reserve of pesticides (insecticides) to conduct activities on plant quarantine in accordance with the laws of the Republic of Kazakhstan;
- Environmental Code of the Republic of Kazakhstan ratified on July 9, 2007 No.212 – on the treatment of hazardous waste (including obsolete pesticides)
- Code of the Republic of Kazakhstan “On people’s health and the health care system” ratified on September 18, 2009 No.193-IV – about potentially hazardous chemical and biological agents, as well as on the treatment of them;
- Law of the Republic of Kazakhstan “On Specially Protected Natural Territories” dated July 7, 2006 No.175 prohibiting the use of pesticides in such areas;
- Law of the Republic of Kazakhstan “On the use of the airspace of the Republic of Kazakhstan and aviation” ratified on July 15, 2010 No.339-IV – on the use of aerial work in agriculture (dropping from aircraft or other substances and waste materials that are harmful to human health and environment, except for the production of aviation works in agriculture, operated in compliance with the security measures of the population and the environment);
- Law of the Republic of Kazakhstan “On the safety of chemical products” dated July 21, 2007 No.302.
Specific Laws and Regulations that govern waste management
General waste management
- Chapter 42 of Environmental Code of the Republic of Kazakhstan – Environmental requirements for the treatment of waste production and consumption
- Technical Regulations” Safety requirements for pesticides (pesticides)” approved by Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan on May 29, 2008 No.515 – defines the necessary conditions for handling pesticides (pesticides) on the market requirements for their importation and exportation, manufacture, sale, storage, transport, use and destruction, as well as container from under them.
- “On some issues of licensing of exports and imports,” Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan dated June 12, 2008 No.578.
Landfill of Waste
- “Lists of wastes in landfills to accommodate different classes” ratified. Order of the Minister of Environment of the Republic of Kazakhstan dated August 2, 2007 No.244-p – bans the deployment of pesticides in landfills.
- Resolution of the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan dated March 6, 2012 No.291 “On approval of the Sanitary Rules “Sanitary requirements for the collection, use, application, processing, transportation, storage and disposal of production and consumption”.
Shipment of waste
- GOST 14189-81 Pesticides. Acceptance rules, sampling methods, packaging, labeling, transportation and storage.